Javascript Menu by

Amateur Radio Licensing And Callsigns


Certificates Of Proficiency

Apparatus Licences

RPLA & Exemptions

Operating Guidelines

Visiting Australia

Visiting & Reciprocal Licensing


All radio amateurs visiting for up to 90 days may operate without making an application or paying a fee, under the Radiocommunications (Overseas Amateurs Visiting Australia) Class Licence 2008. This visiting privilege covers most holiday or business trips. Simply prefix a home callsign with the VK call area located. For example W2ABC/VK3. You may only operate within the Australian amateur bands that meet the qualification or licence held overseas.

A reciprocal licence is available for many overseas radio amateurs who wish to take out a VK callsign during a stay, or as a result of migration. This is the result of comparative assessments of each country's qualifications and licences, and include a formal reciprocal licensing agreement. That means through the reciprocal agreements an equivalent VK licence is issued. An Australian Certificate of Proficiency is not required or issued. It requires both an ACMA licence application and a WIA Callsign Recommendation Certificate - both have fees.

Application for a reciprocal licence should be made at least three months before travel to Australia. To learn more about the (Overseas Amateurs Visiting Australia) Class Licence that is free, or Reciprocal Licence application and its table of equivalent licences, see this Link

Going overseas from Australia

VK radio amateur licences can be used in the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT), and the qualification (except those issued under reciprocal licence conditions) is endorsed being a Harmonised Amateur Radio Examination Certificate (HAREC).
This means acceptance in CEPT countries, including those in the European Union. Non-CEPT countries may ask for a fee and application. When planning a trip overseas and wanting to operate, ask the relevant administration or IARU member radio society.

Files For Download

Visiting Amateur Class Licence

Page Last Updated: Wednesday 26 October 2016 at 21:19 hours