Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com


2016 News Releases

 

Year

 


Man faces charges over bogus radio calls at airports

Date : 22 / 11 / 2016
Author : Jim Linton - VK3PC

A 19-year old man from Rockbank northwest of Melbourne faces offences related to the alleged unlawful interference with air traffic control and endangering the safety of aircraft. Paul Sant is alleged to have made 16 separate unauthorised radio transmissions at Melbourne Airport and Avalon Airport near Geelong between September and November.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) laid four counts of endangering the safety of aircraft contrary to Crimes (Aviation) Act, while the Australian Communications and Media Authority had a count of interference likely to endanger safety or cause loss or damage contrary to the Radiocommunications Act.

Briefly in the Melbourne Magistrates Court on November 22, defence lawyer Pern Chaya told the court Paul Sant had been diagnosed with autism and depression. He was remanded in custody to reappear on Monday, and then expected to apply for bail. Outside the court the AFP's Head of Crime Operations, acting Assistant Commissioner Chris Sheehan said the arrest followed an investigation involving Air Services Australia, ACMA, and in the early stages Qantas and the Virgin Australia Group. He said if the offences were proven they could have a maximum penalty of up to 20 years imprisonment.



 

Click Here To Return To Previous Page